Mission: Dyed IKEA Ektorp Sectional (IKEA hack)

I didn’t take a before photo but if you’re looking for an IKEA hack then you are probably familiar with the Ektorp. But here is a stock photo just in case.

I have had this sectional for several months knowing we were going to dye the white slipcovers a color that fits us. This is just the beginning by the way, I have more colors coming soon. I want a back up set for when this one is being washed or for different seasons for a bright pick me up.

We have contemplated colors for a while. And we couldn’t decide on if I should tackle this size of a dye job in our front loader that I am constantly dyeing smaller jobs in.

So we decided to buy a cheap non HE top loader for this project and we hooked it up in our basement to our utility sink there.

I did run into a few small issues. One being that I ended up with a few bleach spots. I am assuming it is from my front loader not rinsing the bleach out well on my prewash (that I did right before dying to get it clean) and to wet the fabric for dyeing. The second is my seat cushions are 2 shades darker. I am guessing this is because I wash the seat cushions every week or two, and if dirty they can be washed several times in a week. I have pets, 3 small dogs and 2 cats not to mention the smaller pets, so keeping them spotless is a little work. My back cushions and base have only been washed one time and they are a consistent color and they were dyed separate. I thought about it and since I wash the seat cushions a lot I don’t mind they are darker because they will probably blend after a few washes, so no biggie! And the photos make them look much darker than they are in reality.

So here goes:

We used RIT Dye in Sunshine Orange

I used 3 bottles for the base slipcover and 4 bottles for the cushion slip covers.

A container of salt, 1 cup per load to help set the color to stay.

Hot water!

I set the washer on the longest setting and restarted it just once before it started to rinse and let it do its “thang”! Then ran 2 wash cycles to rinse them out. I always partly dry my slipcovers before outing back on.

I hope I didn’t leave anything out.

I hope you enjoy my project, even if its not your kind of color or you are not a brave soul like me. I have lots of fun doing projects. I have a lot I have not posted but may do those later.

You will notice some lines lightly in the fabric. Those I love. They were an accident but I love how the give the fabric a suede or sub bleach beachy affect. The dye stuck to some water mineral stains in the washer I could not get out and ended up on the fabric. I didn’t think that would happen but it did. It gives it a nice rustic feel. And the lighting really affects the colors. Its very sunny and bright. I’m thrilled with how it turned out.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Cottage Crashers, Decor, DIY, ektorp, Home, ikea, ikea hack, Photography, rit, Rit Dye, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s